All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Re: The Future of ATK ??
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi All,

I’m Tom Schenkenberg, co-founder of Ibuildings, and ultimately responsible for our silence of late concerning the development of ATK.

Together with Ivo, Ibuildings has contributed much over the past years to the ATK framework and Achievo projects. We’ve build fantastic applications using ATK and have enjoyed all the benefits of open source development. Open sourcing ATK/Achievo was one of the best decisions Ivo and I made, now a long time ago:) Some early adopters saw the genius of Ivo’s creation, a framework ahead of its time and extremely powerful.

But today, ATK has become a legacy framework. And we took the business decision to no longer participate in active development and stop using this framework for our commercial application development work. As a side effect, our role as open source maintainers also suffered. I think the mistake we made is that this simple business decision to stop using ATK should have been separate from our role and responsibilities as an open source project maintainer.

I’m excited to read that Ivo has plans to once again create a compelling and innovate open source framework as a modern replacement for ATK. Best of luck Ivo! We’ll be watching Adapto for sure, and see if and how we can contribute.

But back to ATK today:

First I’d like to offer my apologies to all ATK/Achievo community members for not acting upon our role as project maintainer. You’ve all shown tremendous good will and perseverance keeping ATK/Achievo alive. And in the spirit of true open source projects, the most active contributors should have the biggest voice. It’s clear that Ibuildings no longer holds any claim to be a leading maintainer of these projects.

With the announcement of Adapto being not a drop-in or compatible replacement, but rather a complete new project, the issue of ATK/Achievo project maintainership still remains.
I’d like to offer anything and everything belonging to ATK/Achievo to you guys, the true maintainers of these projects. I’m happy to hand over the servers/domains/applications/websites/repositories/etc. to the community. Please help me to get ATK/Achievo in the right hands and in the right place.

Thanks,
Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 pm 
Regular

Great news Tom ! Thanks for the resonse

How do we move forward from here ?

Regards

Wayne

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

I think the first thing is for you all to decide how best to continue with the project.

For me personally it would be a great milestone to have a 'this-aint-legacy-but-production-quality-software'-minded team put out the next stable (maintenance) release of ATK, with all the fixes and postponed stuff in that release within say 2 or 3 months.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 pm 
Evangelist

Hi Tom,

Thanks for responding.

Based on your experience, can you please specify the roles(team members) that would be needed to move forward with ATK?

http://www.GariDigital.com

Proud ATK Supporter since 2005

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Well, there are a few key roles that need to be in place. But really, it’s about the developers contributing code/tests/docs. The rest is optional in my view and pretty pointless without enough developers to contribute code.

In terms of minimum required roles there is of course the benevolent dictator, a documentation maintainer and a community-person (who maintains the forum/lists/PR/answers questions/helps devs).
So that’s 3 people + as many contributing developers you can find.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 am 
Regular

Tom

Would be happy to help with forum "maintenance"

Thanks

Wayne

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Awesome reply Tom! If I may cast a vote, jgarifuna would be a good candidate to take over maintenance and release management. He's probably one of atk's most active proponents in the past couple of years.

Adapto will indeed not be a straight drop in replacement, I'm using the opportunity to make improvements to some parts that can only be done by shaking off legacy and forgetting about backwards compatibility. It would be great if for existing users Atk would be properly maintained so I welcome a 'transfer of power' to its community.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 pm 
Evangelist

Ivo,

I am honored by your vote.

Tom,

I received your email and although I still have many things to learn about maintaining on open source project, I welcome the challenge. Sorry it's taken me long to follow up, but please initiate the transfer process.

Below are a few things that I would like to do in short term:

1. use github for ATK
2. keep the forum alive
3. keep the wiki alive
4. start preliminary planning for release schedule
5. assemble the core team start executing bug fixes, improvements and new features
6. get on the rhythm of releasing frequently

Mid term:

1. Start preparing ATK for mobile by leveraging existing mobile frameworks, such as jquery mobile or sencha touch.

2. Start transitioning to a HTM5 framework to modernize the themes by leveraging on a HTML5 framework like bootstrap by twitter.

3. Open a repository of ATK apps (modules). This is something I've been wanting to do for years :)

Long term:

1. Release more frequently

2. Keep up with the latest and greatest in the tech world

3. Make ATK more stable

4. Position ATK as a leading PHP framework

5. Enhance ATK for rapid front-end development

6. Keep ATK alive for the many years to come!

And of course, be here to serve you all :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Good to hear from you Jorge!

I like your plan and I'm sure your active role as project maintainer will deliver the fresh new ATK releases everbody is waiting for.

I will go ahead and tranfser all the admin stuff to you next week, so you can poke around, get some new curtains and rearrange the furniture :)

Thanks and have a great weekend!
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:46 pm 
Regular

so far, jgarifuna looks the best option and the most expert developer that know about the framework
i've developed lots of new attributes that i like to contrib

i would very like to see a new stable version released and maybe some javascript library updated

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:04 pm 
Regular

I am happy to see Jgarifuna gone be the maintainer of ATK. This is the best option!

Jgarifuna, have you been thinking to update Achievo, so you can show what you can do with ATK?

Tom I am interested in the future of Achievo is there already someone for that?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 pm 
Evangelist

Klaaspeter,

Thanks for being board!

I'm very excited about working with the community to collaborate on updates that benefit the community as a whole while it extending the reach and potential of the technology that we are supporting :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 am 
Evangelist

Does anybody know who is in charged of the following account?

https://github.com/atkframework

I was considering registering it, only to find out that it's been taken. The other option I'm considering is:

https://github.com/atkphpframework

If we can't get our hands on atkframework, we will go for atkphpframework so we can get setup as soon as possible with github.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:22 pm 

I'm not ready to see ATK dying. i will contribute whatever support i'm supposed to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:53 pm 
Evangelist

atkmosha wrote:
I'm not ready to see ATK dying. i will contribute whatever support i'm supposed to.

Thanks.

Please read the following for areas where we need some help at this moment:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21353

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next